Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course - SVOP
SVOP Course Description below
>>> All students taking the SVOP - Attention! <<<
Transport Canada requires Commercial Small Vessel Operators (Captains) to have FOUR certifications to operate a commercial vessel as Master (Captain).
1. The 4 day Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) course.
2. The 1 day Marine Emergency Duties (MED A3); which is fire, flooding, survival craft, etc.
3. The 1 day Marine VHF course (ROC-M) marine radio.
4. Any 2 day basic first aid course.
The 4 day SVOP course alone is NOT enough to meet the TC requirements as Master.
We almost always offer these courses in succession: Monday to Saturday. We do not offer first aid.
**There were proposed changes in 2016 to the SVOP Course and how the Certifications will work. Please Contact Us if you have any questions regarding these changes.
Click Here for the Transport Canada Course Description.
Small Vessel Operator Proficiency or SVOP:
Our SVOP Course covers the minimum training of operators of commercial vessels, up to 5 gross tonnage engaged on a near coastal, class 2 or a sheltered waters voyage, and for fishing vessels up to 15 gross tonnage or 12 meters overall length engaged on a near coastal, class 2 or a sheltered waters voyage. This includes Whale Watching Boats, Fishing Guide Boats, Charters, Workboats, Water Taxis, Rescue Boats, Fishing Vessels, and more.
Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course Goals
- The SVOP is designed to provide a basic understanding of the hazards of the marine environment and the prevention of shipboard incidents.
- Students that complete the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency course will have aquired the knowledge and skills to safely operate a small non-pleasure vessel in near coastal and sheltered waters under normal operating conditions.
- The Small Vessel Operator Proficiency course provides additional training on aids to navigation and seamanship to supplement individual experience.
*A Candidate Document Number (CDN) # is no longer required for these courses. For more information and course schedules on the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency, please contact us.