Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course – SVOP
SVOP Course Description below
>>> All students taking the SVOP – Attention! <<<
Transport Canada requires Commercial Small Vessel Operators (Captains) to have FOUR certifications to operate a commercial vessel as Master (Captain).
- Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) course – 4 Days.
- Small Non-Pleasure Domestic Vessel Safety (SDV-BS) – 1 Day.
- Marine VHF course (ROC-M) marine radio – 1 Day.
- Any basic first aid course 2 Days.
The 4 day Small Vessel Operator Proficiency course (SVOP) alone is NOT enough to meet the TC requirements as Master.
We almost always offer these courses in succession: Monday to Saturday.
We do not offer the first aid course.
Small Vessel Operator Proficiency or SVOP:
Our SVOP Course covers the minimum training of operators of commercial vessels, up to 5 gross tonnage engaged on a near coastal, class 2 or a sheltered waters voyage, and for fishing vessels up to 15 gross tonnage or 12 metres overall length engaged on a near coastal, class 2 or a sheltered waters voyage. This includes Whale Watching Boats, Fishing Guide Boats, Charters, Workboats, Water Taxis, Rescue Boats, Fishing Vessels, and more.
Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Course Goals
- The SVOP is designed to provide a basic understanding of the hazards of the marine environment and the prevention of shipboard incidents.
- Students that complete the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency course will have aquired the knowledge and skills to safely operate a small non-pleasure vessel in near coastal and sheltered waters under normal operating conditions.
- The Small Vessel Operator Proficiency course provides additional training on aids to navigation and seamanship to supplement individual experience.
* A Candidate Document Number (CDN) # is no longer required for these courses. For more information and course schedules on the Small Vessel Operator Proficiency, please contact us.